Sunday, November 23, 2014

A Creepy Message From The Federal Government

I'm trying to decide whether this is ominous or not.  I did a post on a case nearly two weeks ago in which I noted that the Tax Court in seeking a definition referred to Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary (1984).  I wrote at the end:

The reference to the Webster’s II New Riverside University Dictionary made me wonder if that is somehow the official Tax Court dictionary. I found that it has been cited by the Tax Court 20 times which is twice as often as the Oxford English Dictionary.  The higher courts seem to favor OED.  Still you can get a copy from Amazon for one cent.  Well, it’s four bucks when you throw in the shipping.  Still, I decided to order myself a copy.

So I was delighted Friday when there was a fat package in the mail.  I like to savor the anticipation so I let it sit on the counter for a while, much to the chagrin of my covivant.  At any rate, when I opened the red covered book with a gold stamped title I was surprised to find stamped in bold gold letters.

PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT

So I guess there is something semi-official about this dictionary.

Here is the ominous part.  There was a green sticky on one of the pages.  When I turned to that page I found that a word was highlighted in yellow. The word was unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment