Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Nigerians I Need a Little Help Here

This was originally published on forbes.com  on August 29, 2011.
___________________________________________________________________________
This is an interlude in my series on 419 Reasons to Like Nigeria and Nigerians.  As part of my efforts, I've been looking for sites that made the same error I made, which started me off on defending the good name of Nigeria.  I hate to give this guy traffic, so I'll just give you the title - It's Time To Crack The Whip On These Nigerian Crooks!  .  Google it if you want to read it.  You are not getting the link from me. 
Anyway, I e-mailed the author.  If you study my posts, you will know that I am a lousy typist and try as I might errors creep in and resist my best efforts at proof-reading.  As you might expect I am even worse with e-mails, but I am going to give you the exchange as it was typed, warts and all:

From me:

I doubt that your post It's Time To Crack The Whip On These Nigerian Crooks! Is the best way to make a better a world.

Not very good at all, but I think it made the point, particularly if he followed the link.

From kofi Akyeampong:

Hi,

First of all, learn how to write standard English before attempting to contend with a exceptionally intelligent individual like me!

Your e-mail :"I doubt that your post It's Time To Crack The Whip On These Nigerian Crooks! Is the best way to make a better a world."  makes absolutely no sense at all.

Apart from the obvious fact that it falls short of quality grammar, it is completely meaningless! 
Thanks, anyway.

Fair enough.  I find myself frequently having to clarify my confused thoughts.

From me:

Thanks for the grammar assistance.  I am sometimes too hasty when I type e-mails and your advice will help me do better.  I see that “Is” should be “is”.  My point was that I think you are maligning Nigerians based on the actions of a minority.  You might want to comment on the Forbes post I linked to which probably has other deficiencies. 

Can I quote you in any follow up I do on my blog on forbes.com ?

From Prince Kofi Akyeampong:

Mr Reilly,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Let me assure you that my purpose for writing that article was not motivated by malicious intentions.  My article was based on reality.  Obviously, it may not have gone down well with some people, especially Nigerians; but again, for those of you who are not conversant with the crime situation in Nigeria, my article should serve as an eye-opener.

Nigeria is arguably the most corrupt nation in Africa; and that explains why a nation blessed with so much oil deposits is still in financial doldrums - a result of persistent corruption and misappropriation of state funds by successive leaders.  In addition to this, it's widely known in the sub-region (and worldwide), that the average Nigerian's propensity to commit violent crimes or engage in fraudulent acts is high.

There have been so many instances where Nigerians fraudsters have tried to use forged Ghanaian passports.  For your information, Nigerians are adepts when it comes to internet fraud; the US state department would confirm this.  The popular term for fraud in Nigeria is - 419.

Like I stated in my article, armed robbery is now on the increase in Ghana, thanks to the influx of Nigerian immigrants.

I'm not saying that all Nigerians are crooks; but one definitely has to be careful when dealing with a Nigerian.  They are not to be trusted.

Yes, you can quote me on your blog.

Thanks.

Prince Kofi Akyeampong

Wow.  The popular term in Nigeria is 419.  Who knew ? I don't know what his highness is the prince of.  According to wikipedia Ghana is a republic, but my knowledge of Africa is abysmal.   Anyway, I could use your help in contending with such an exceptionally intelligent individual.  One thing I'm asking you, though.  No, let's say I'm begging you.  Don't start knocking Ghana.  I took accounting classes with a guy from Ghana over thirty year ago and he tried to help me get my first job in the business. 


No comments:

Post a Comment